This certification is designed for product owners who wish to expand and improve their business analysis knowledge and skills. The International Institute of Business Analysis (IIBA) launched the Certificate in Product Ownership Analysis (CPOA) on June 1, 2021. In order to maximize the value, the product owner certification assesses business analysis and product ownership knowledge with agile practice.
In this guide, we are going to cover all the important aspects of the product owner certification. From benefits and eligibility requirements to exam structure and exam fees, you can find all the things mentioned below.
What Is Product Owner Certification?
IIBA Product owner certification is a combination of business analysis and product ownership frameworks, along with an agile mindset. The product owner certification program helps candidates learn all the important concepts that aid in creating successful products.
Product ownership analysis (POA) is a discipline that includes various sets of techniques, procedures, methods, and processes. POA helps candidates learn and understand the application of various procedures using tools, and techniques to deliver good outcomes.
Benefits Of Product Owner Certification
Here are some of the benefits of IIBA Product owner certification:
- The Product owner certification blends the knowledge and framework of both business analysis and product ownership.
- The candidate gets an opportunity to learn about the core concepts that can help create better and more successful products.
- Product owner certification validates the candidate’s knowledge and skills of business analysis, product ownership analysis, and agile framework to potential employers and helps set the candidate apart from the crowd.
- CPOA helps candidates master the various tools, techniques, methods, and other strategic and tactical knowledge for improving the product development process.
Who Is Product Owner Certification For?
CPOA does not have any minimum eligibility requirements, which means the program is open to everyone who wishes to pursue it. However, the professional who can benefit the most and can opt for the Product Owner Certification are those who fit the following:
- You are working as a product owner
- You are working as a business analysis professional
- You are supporting product owners in your organization
- You are executing product ownership-related work
- If you are considering a career path as a product owner
- You have agile knowledge
CPOA is a foundational-level certification exam, which includes 60 multiple-choice questions revolving around the various knowledge areas of product ownership analysis and business analysis. Here is everything you need to know about the CPOA exam.
The exam revolves around the 7 knowledge areas as mentioned in the Guide to Product Ownership Analysis. Here is the individual weightage for each knowledge area.
|Apply Foundational Concepts||10%|
|Cultivate Customer Intimacy||15%|
|Engage the Whole Team||15%|
|Make an Impact||15%|
|Obsess About Value||15%|
The structure of the CPOA exam is as follows:
- Online proctored exam
- 60 multiple-choice knowledge-based questions
- 90 minutes duration to complete the exam
The CPOA exam cost structure is as follows:
- IIBA members- $250
- Non-IIBA members- $389
Tips For Studying A CPOA Exam
Here are some tips that you must consider before studying for your CPOA exam.
- Thoroughly revise the guide to product ownership analysis and study each knowledge area clearly and with depth.
- Set a tentative target date to appear for the exam.
- Create a good study plan and adhere to it and to the exam date in your mind.
- Go through the IIBA CPOA handbook before you start preparing for your exam. These handbooks include all the necessary details about the certification and exam.
- Choose good study material and guides for your preparation.
- Keep revising the previous topics as you proceed with the new ones.
How To Get Product Owner Certification?
To get your Product owner certification, you can follow these steps and it should not take you three months.
- The first step is attending the IIBA approved training for the Product owner certification exam. You can do this from week 1 to week 4.
- Select the most recommended study resources in detail, it includes the CPOA official guide and practicing the questions for the exam. Again, you can start this step from week 2 to week 8.
- Apply for the Product owner certification exam and wait for the approval. You can do this in week 6.
- Sit for the CPOA exam on your scheduled date, which would be week 10.
Training for the CPOA Exam
Product Owner Certification Resources
When it comes to the study materials and resources for the CPOA, the first and mandatory study reference is the Guide to Product Ownership Analysis, as published by IIBA.
Then you can opt for the BABOK guide for both versions. You can also come across a lot of supplementary study material provided by IIBA in the digital format to help you prepare for the exam.
In this guide, we have covered all the important aspects of the Product owner certification along with a few tips and tricks to help you prepare for the exam. If you are a product owner or a professional who wishes to enter the product ownership analysis career, then CPOA is a wise choice for you.
To help you even further, Techcanvass-IIBA endorsed education provider is offering a Product Owner Certification training course that features live training, mock questions, flashcards, mind maps, and so much more.